Recording FAQs

All requests must be made in writing by completing an Open Records Request

The request MUST include specific identifiable information that does not require a “title search”. This information may include but is not limited to, a book and page reference, an instrument number, or detailed information relating to the desired document, such as a borrower’s name and address accompanied by the lender’s name, address, and loan amount.  Once a request is received, we will contact you with the total fees involved in obtaining the document requested.  All fees must be received before the request is completed.

The same rules apply to historic records as to current records.  All requests must be made in writing.  The request MUST include specific identifiable information that does not require a “title search”.

"What if I don't know the book and page, or am unsure of the validity of the information I currently have?"

Unfortunately, the Clerk’s staff is unable to perform any type of search.   Multiple pieces of identifying information are required for clerk assistance.

In addition, most historic records are not as easily obtained as some of the more current records due to the lack of the inquirer’s known identifying information.  However, we often consult a member of the Georgetown/Perry County Historic Society  to assist us.

"Are your records available online?"
At this time, the documents recorded at the Perry County Clerk’s Office are NOT available online.  However, our software provider does have a program that will allow you to search through our records online for a fee.  Our records are indexed back through 1993 and imaged as far back as 2000.  If you need further assistance with the online portal, contact Software Management, LLC at 1-800-466-9445.
"How can I find out who owns a piece of property?"
Our index is based strictly on names and does not recognize addresses.  For assistance with this information, you should contact the Property Valuation Administration at 502-863-7885.  Essentially, you can give them an address and they will tell you who the current property owner is based on their tax records.
"Where do I pay my tax bill?"
The Perry County Sheriff’s Department is the collector of the current tax year.  Tax bills are typically mailed during the last week of October.  The Sheriff will collect those taxes until April 15th of the following year, when he will then transfer the uncollected bills to the County Clerk for collection.  When they arrive at the County Clerk’s office, their status becomes “delinquent”. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 120 N Hamilton Street, Hazard, KY 41701.
How do I know if I have any liens against my property?

The Perry County Clerk’s Office is open for public inspection 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, with the exception of holidays.  As deputy clerks, the staff is prohibited from performing any type of “title searching”.  That means that we cannot look up records and definitively answer any questions.  The Recordings Department staff is available to assist you in your search, but ultimately, your own conclusion must be drawn.  Our staff has a list of reputable attorneys, paralegals and abstractors that you can commission to perform an insured title search.

Contact Info


481 Main Street, Suite 102
Hazard, KY 41701

(606) 436-4614

(606) 439-0557

Office Hours


8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

 Important Information
 Pop up Information
 PDF File

Skip to content