Marriage License

Where are marriage licenses issued?
The parties may go to any county in Kentucky to get a marriage license if both are 18 years of age or older. Marriage licenses may be used in any Kentucky county and cannot be used anywhere but in Kentucky. If the marriage is not solemnized within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new license. Both must be present to obtain a license.
Who issues marriage licenses?
The county clerk issues marriage licenses. Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days, including the date it is issued, and after that time it is invalid. Therefore, if the marriage is not solemnized within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new license.
How can we obtain our marriage license?
  • Both parties must apply for the license together.
  • Identification is required. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, Acceptable forms of ID include: Drivers’ license (preferred), or a combination of the following –government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport and/or social security card.
  • Both parties must be 18 years old or older.
  • There is a $50.00 fee for a marriage license.
Where can I return my marriage license after the ceremony?

Anyone may hand-carry your completed license back to the Perry County Clerk’s Office or you may mail it in the envelope provided to you at the time of your application.  If you choose to mail it, please affix 2 stamps to the envelope to assure the license is returned to us.

Is there a waiting period or blood test requirement?
Do I need to bring my birth certificate?
Only if you intend to use it as part of your identification.
Do I need to bring my divorce decree?
Do I need to bring my social security card?

Only if you intend to use it as part of your proof of identity.

Can I get a marriage license in one county in Kentucky and marry in another county in Kentucky?
What do we do after we are married?
  • Return the signed marriage application to the Perry County Clerk’s Office. It will be filed with the County Clerk and a Marriage License will be issued to the couple by mail.
  • When changing your maiden name, you will take your marriage license to the Social Security Administration. Information about the Social Security Office located in Lexington, KY.
  • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. Information about the Perry County Circuit Clerk’s office.
Need a copy of a marriage license?
By Mail

Send written notice to:

Perry County Clerk’s Office
481 Main Street, Suite 101
Hazard, KY 41701

  • Include in the written notice the following information: full name of both parties and the date of marriage.
  • A certified copy is $7.00 by mail.
In Person

A certified copy of a marriage license can also be obtained in person at the Perry County Clerk’s Office. The fee to obtain a certified copy of the marriage license in person is $5.

Motor Vehicles


"I need to renew the tags on my vehicle. What do I need to bring with me?"
You will need to bring the previous year’s registration (or a copy of the original) and your Kentucky Proof of Insurance.
"What if I don't have my registration?"
A copy of your registration can be printed for you at the cost of $3.00, per registration
"The last time I renewed my tags, I wasn't asked for proof of insurance. Why?"

Until your plate number is entered into our system, it is unclear whether or not a copy of your insurance will be required. Should the system prompt for proof of insurance, at that time, you will need to provide an INSURANCE CARD with the following information:

  • VIN number
  • NAIC number
  • An effective date within the last 45 days
"I received my renewal notice and it state 'SEE CLERK/SEE PVA', what does that mean?

‘See Clerk’ usually means that the registration is expired/cancelled.  You must come to our office to renew.


‘See PVA’ means that the Property Valuation Office needs more infomation to properly assess the vehicle, trailer, motor home, etc.  You must call Perry County PVA, Tim Jenkins’ office at 502-863-7885 BEFORE you can come in to renew.

"What options do I have to renew my vehicle?"
Your vehicle can be renewed in office, online, by phone, or by mail. “Can someone else renew my vehicle for me?” Yes, as long as they have one or more of the following:

  • Paper copy of insurance on vehicle(s)
  • Registration or registration copy
  • Plate number
  • VIN number

Vehicle Registration & Renewal

"How can I obtain a handicap placard?"

You will need to complete the   Application for Disabled Persons Special Parking Permit (TC 96-204), and have it signed by a doctor. The signature of the intended user is also required, and will need to be notarized. (see example)  If you are unable to physically make it into the office, call into the motor vehicle department and if possible, we will send a deputy clerk out to notarize your signature for the process,

"How long will the placard be active?"

Once a doctor’s signature has been obtained, the placard will not expire for 6 years.  After six years have passed, another doctor’s signature is required. Can someone pick up a placard if it is not for them?” Yes, only if the application is signed and the applicant’s signature has been notarized, or Power of Attorney will suffice as long as a copy is provided with the application. If the applicant is unable to come inside the office, a clerk can go out to the vehicle to notarize the signature. I have a disabled parking plate. Can I have a placard as well?” Yes, one placard may be issued with a handicap plate. 

"I received a letter in the mail stating that my vehicle does not have insurance. What do I do?

You will need to bring the notice you received in the mail, along with a copy of insurance reflecting the VIN of the vehicle in question.  The effective date on the policy must be within 45 days of when it is presented to the clerk.

Selling Your Vehicle

"I am selling my car. What do I need to do?"
You must sign the back of the title for the vehicle: left-hand side, top, and bottom in the designated areas for Transferor. Your signature must also be notarized. The odometer reading and sell price must be recorded as well. What if I’ve lost my title? What should I do?” Apply for a duplicate title. This can be done in-office or by mail by filling out a Vehicle Transfer Form (TC96-182), with your signature notarized. The cost of a duplicate title is $6.00. How long will it take to receive a duplicate title?” You will receive the duplicate title in 4-5 business days.
"I have signed the title of my vehicle over to the buyer, but the vehicle is still registered in my name. What should I do?" "

Although you signed the title over to the new owner, the vehicle will still be registered to you until the buyer completes the transfer at his/her County Clerk’s Office. However, the buyer has up to 15 days to transfer the vehicle to their name.

***NOTE***  To safeguard yourself, we advise taking a photo or making a copy of the front and back of the completed/signed and notarized title before giving it to the buyer.  You can potentially use this as proof if an incomplete transfer is required.

After the 15 days have passed, contact the County Clerk’s Office to check the status of the transfer. If the vehicle is still in your name, you will need to visit your County Clerk’s office to file an Incomplete Transfer. To be sure the transfer is completed, it is always best to accompany the buyer to the County Clerk’s Office and witness the transfer. ***PLEASE USE ONLY BLACK INK WHEN WRITING/SIGNING AREAS ON THE BACK OF A TITLE.

"Transferring an Out-Of-State Vehicle"
If I decide to go out of state and buy a vehicle, what do I need to register this vehicle in Kentucky?” To register the vehicle in Kentucky, the title must be signed by the seller(s), and their signature(s) notarized. If you are buying from a Notary State, you will also need to take a VTR (TC96-182) and have it signed by the seller(s) and notarized as well.
"Can I apply for a temporary tag to transport my Out-of-State vehicle into Kentucky?"
Our County Clerk’s Office does not issue temporary tags to transport vehicles to or from other states. You will need to make prior arrangements with the seller to use their plate, or haul the vehicle. You may also contact the State DMV where the vehicle is being purchased and inquire about a Transit Tag.
"Will I need to have the vehicle inspected once I return to Kentucky?"
Yes. You will take the title, a VTR (TC96-182), and the vehicle to the Sheriff’s Office to complete the inspection. Please visit the County Clerk’s Office if you need assistance with the VTR.
"What will the inspection consist of?"
During the inspection, the VIN number and mileage will be compared to what is listed on the title and recorded on the VTR. A $5.00 fee will be collected.
"Will I need proof of insurance to transfer my vehicle?"
Yes, a paper copy of your Kentucky Proof of Insurance will be required upon transfer.
"Once I have my completed title, inspection, and my Kentucky Proof of Insurance, what is my next step?"
Bring all of the above listed to your County Clerk’s Office, along with a photo ID. If all documents are completed properly, the vehicle can then be titled and tagged in your name.
"Once the transfer is complete, when will I receive my title?"

You will receive your title in 4-6 weeks. A speed title can be ordered for an additional fee of $25.00 should you need the title sooner than the 4-6 weeks. A speed title will arrive in 1-2 weeks.

"I sold my vehicle to someone who lives in another state, what do I need to do?"

Fill out a TC96-167 (Affidavit for Replacement of Non-Exchange) and indicate which state the vehicle was sold to.  Any taxes due must be paid before vehicle can be marked as sold.  You will also need to fill out 62A044 for PVA, so that you are not taxed on this vehicle in the future.

"I purchased a vehicle and I've already sold it What do I do?"

The title must first go into the original purchaser’s name (your’s) as we cannot ‘skip’ a buyer.

You will need to present the title and insurance in the your name to the clerk, or the title and the plate if you are not going to insure the vehicle.

You can apply for a speed title for an additional $25 and the title will be received in the mail in approximately 2 weeks OR opt for a standard title which takes 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Once you have received a title in your name, you may then transfer the vehicle to the new buyer.

Transferring to Kentucky Residence

"I have moved to Kentucky from another state. What do I need in order to register my vehicle(s)?"

To register your vehicle(s) in Kentucky, you will need the title(s) from the previous state, a paper copy of your Kentucky Proof of Insurance, a Vehicle Transfer Form (TC96-182), and an inspection from the Sheriff’s Office.  If you are moving in from a “title holding” state, meaning, you do not have your title in hand because your loan has not been paid in full, we will request the title from your lender.  Kentucky is NOT a title holding state.  Once your vehicle is registered with us, you will receive a KY title with a lien held by your lender reflected on it.  This prohibits you from transferring the vehicle until the lien is satisfied.

"I recently resided in a Title Holding state and my lien holder has my title(s). What should I do?"

If you are moving in from a “title holding” state, meaning, you do not have your title in hand because your loan has not been paid in full, we will request the title from your lender.  Kentucky is NOT a title holding state.  Once your vehicle is registered with us, you will receive a KY title with a lien held by your lender reflected on it.  This prohibits you from transferring the vehicle until the lien is satisfied.

The following information will be obtained from you at the Clerk’s Office in order to request your title from the lien holder:

  • Name of lien holder
  • Fax number of lien holder
  • The account number
  • Year, make, model and VIN number of the vehicle

How will I know when the requested title has arrived at the Clerk’s Office? 

Once the title has been requested from the lien holder, check back within 2 weeks to see if it has been received.

"What kind of taxes should I expect to be assessed upon my first-time registration in Kentucky?"

Kentucky assesses a 6% sales (USAGE) tax on personal property.
If you have paid less than 6% in your former state of residence, you will be given credit for the percentage paid, and charged for the difference, up to 6%.
If you have paid 6% or more in your former state of residence, no additional sales (USAGE) tax will be assessed.

"What can I do while waiting for my title to be delivered?"

If your tags are expired at the time of request, or the tags have expired before the title has been delivered to the Clerk’s Office, you may be issued one temporary tag, per vehicle, as long as the vehicle is covered under Kentucky Insurance. 

"What steps do I need to take to obtain a personalized plate?"

Beginning July 17, 2017, all requests for personalized license plates must be submitted to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation, Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing through the drive.ky.gov website.  Note:  Any property tax due must be paid upon transfer of plate.

  • On the Drive.KY.Gov website, please click the Vehicle Services drop-down menu at the top of the home page, and then click on the License Plate link
  • You will be guided through an online search to ensure the desired plate is available
  • If the desired plate is available, you will then complete an online request form.  The fee for this application is $25 which is applied to the total cost of the plate.
  • Every request will be reviewed by a Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing committee to ensure full compliance with state law
  • You will be notified of the Committee’s decision by mail or e-mail within 30 days
    • Approved requests will receive a pre-approval form that should be brought to our office for submission with the official application form
      • We will then notify you when your new license plate is ready for pick-up (*Previous plate must be surrendered at time of exchange*)
    • Denied requests will receive notification by mail or e-mail, including explanation of the appeals process


"What paperwork do I need to transfer a boat?"

You will need to provide a completed Boat Transaction Record (BTR) along with the title signed and notarized in all the required areas.


"I bought a boat out of state, but that state does not require a title. What do I do?"

Although a title was not provided, a registration card is required in order to transfer the boat.  If there is not a place for the seller to sign the registration card, then a notarized Bill of Sale will be required, OR, a notarized and completed BTR.

"How can I apply for a HIN number for my boat?"

Homemade boats or boats with invalid HINS per the U.S. Coast Guard, are the only type of boats that can apply for a HIN and this process must be completed in-office.

"The boat I purchased has never been titled or registered, what should I do?"

In order to title and register the boat the seller will have to provide proof of owning that boat for at least 7 years, having his/her signature notarized on an affidavit stating the length of time owned, the year, HIN, make and model of the boat, along with a completed BTR.


"What if I don't know the book and page, or am unsure of the validity of the information I currently have?"

Unfortunately, the Clerk’s staff is unable to perform any type of search.   Multiple pieces of identifying information are required for clerk assistance.

In addition, most historic records are not as easily obtained as some of the more current records due to the lack of the inquirer’s known identifying information.  However, we often consult a member of the Georgetown/Perry County Historic Society  to assist us.

"Are your records available online?"
At this time, the documents recorded at the Perry County Clerk’s Office are NOT available online.  However, our software provider does have a program that will allow you to search through our records online for a fee.  Our records are indexed back through 1993 and imaged as far back as 2000.  If you need further assistance with the online portal, contact Software Management, LLC at 1-800-466-9445.
"How can I find out who owns a piece of property?"
Our index is based strictly on names and does not recognize addresses.  For assistance with this information, you should contact the Property Valuation Administration at 502-863-7885.  Essentially, you can give them an address and they will tell you who the current property owner is based on their tax records.
"Where do I pay my tax bill?"
The Perry County Sheriff’s Department is the collector of the current tax year.  Tax bills are typically mailed during the last week of October.  The Sheriff will collect those taxes until April 15th of the following year, when he will then transfer the uncollected bills to the County Clerk for collection.  When they arrive at the County Clerk’s office, their status becomes “delinquent”. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 120 N Hamilton Street, Hazard, KY 41701.
How do I know if I have any liens against my property?

The Perry County Clerk’s Office is open for public inspection 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, with the exception of holidays.  As deputy clerks, the staff is prohibited from performing any type of “title searching”.  That means that we cannot look up records and definitively answer any questions.  The Recordings Department staff is available to assist you in your search, but ultimately, your own conclusion must be drawn.  Our staff has a list of reputable attorneys, paralegals and abstractors that you can commission to perform an insured title search.

Voter Registration FAQ’s

Absentee Ballot

"Who is qualified to vote by Absentee Ballot?"

To be qualified to vote by walk-in absentee ballot, you must be:

  • Person who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on election day.
  • Voter who will be outside of the county on election day from 6am to 6pm.
  • Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he is registered who will be out of the county on election day.
  • Voter who is a member of the Armed Forces, a dependent of a member of Armed Forces, or an overseas citizen, and will be out of the county on election day.
  • Voter who is a member of the Armed Forces who will be confined to base within the county on election day and who learns of that confinement within 7 days or less of the election.
  • Voter or spouse of voter who has surgery scheduled that will require hospitalization on election day.
  • Precinct Election Officer serving in a precinct other than that in which he is registered or an Alternate Precinct Election Officer.
  • Member or any staff for the County Board of Elections; Any deputy county clerk; Any staff for the State Board of Elections.
  • FOR PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT ONLY: Moved to another state after its registration books closed.
  • A woman in her last trimester of pregnancy.

To be qualified to vote by mail-in absentee ballot, you must be:

  • Person who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on election day.
  • Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he is registered. Must be mailed to an out-of-state address.
  • Voter who temporarily resides outside of the state but who is still eligible to vote in this state. Must be mailed to an out-of-state address.
  • Person who is incarcerated in jail who has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime.
  • Person whose employment location requires him to be absent from the county all hours and all days absentee voting by machine is conducted.
  • Military personnel, their Dependents, or Overseas Citizens
  • FOR PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT ONLY: moved to another state after its registration books closed
  • Person who is a participant in the Office of the Secretary of State’s address confidentiality program

(For more information please review the Kentucky State Board of Elections Military and Overseas Citizens page at www. elect.ky.gov)

"When can I apply for a Walk-In/In-Office Absentee Ballot?"

A voting machine is available in the Election Department 12 (or more) working days before the election for those voters who are qualified to vote by absentee ballot.

"How can I request a Mail-In Absentee Ballot?"

You or your spouse, parents, or children may contact the Election Department to request an absentee ballot application by phone, fax, electronic mail, mail, or in person. We will mail you the absentee ballot application or you can get an application in person. You can either return the completed application by mail or you can hand-deliver it to us. Your spouse, parents, children, or a third party cannot hand-deliver your completed application to the county clerk.

"When can I request an Absentee Ballot?"
You can request an absentee ballot any time before an election if you know you are eligible to vote absentee. We will send you a mail-in absentee ballot within 3 days of the state ballot printing deadline, which is 50 days before the election.
"What is the last day I can apply for an Absentee Ballot?"
The deadline for applying for a mail-in absentee ballot is 7 days before an election. The completed application must be received by our office by mail or in-person by the 7-day deadline. The absentee ballot must be received in our office by 6 PM local time on election day for the ballot to be counted.
"What should I do if I do not receive my mail-in Absentee Ballot?"
If you applied for an absentee ballot and, after a reasonable time, have not received your mail-in ballot, you must contact our office and ask for a second ballot. The Perry County Board of Elections will only count the first properly returned voted ballot.
"What if I need help completing my Absentee Ballot?"
A voter may have assistance because of blindness, physical disability, or the inability to read English. Any person of the voter’s choice may assist the voter, except the voter’s employer or agent of the employer or an officer or agent of the voter’s union. The person assisting the voter must complete the portion of the voter assistance form on the absentee ballot inner envelope that we provide. The person assisting the voter must make an oath declaring that the assistor marked the ballot under the directions of the voter requiring assistance.
"What happens if I will be in the county on election day and want to vote at my precinct, but I have requested an Absentee Ballot?"
Any person who has received a mail-in absentee ballot and discovers at least 7 days before the date of the election that he or she will be in the county on election day, and who has not voted the ballot, must cancel his or her ballot by returning it unvoted to our office. There are no provisions in state law for returning an unvoted ballot less than 7 days before an election or on election day.
"When can I apply for a Medical Emergency Ballot?"
You can apply for a medical emergency absentee ballot if a medical emergency occurs within 14 days before an election. The spouse of the voter can also apply for a paper absentee ballot. The voter, voter’s spouse, parent or child or, if none exist, then a brother, sister, niece, nephew or designee of the voter may make the request for a medical emergency application for an absentee ballot. The absentee ballot can be hand-delivered to the voter and this may be done on Election Day


"If I have a driver's license am I automatically registered to vote?"
Not necessarily. You have the opportunity to register to vote when you visit the driver’s license office, but you will only be registered if you fill out and sign a registration card before the date the books close.
"Will I receive a voter registration ID card when I register to vote?"
We do not issue voter registration ID cards. You will receive a confirmation post card in the mail shortly after you register or update your current information. This card will confirm your new precinct information and list your voting location.
"How often do I need to re-register?"
You do not need to re-register unless you move out of the county and then return. Keeping your address updated with our office and voting regularly will keep your registration active.
"I am a student. Do I vote here or in my home county?"
Students have the choice to stay registered in their home county or to register in the county where they are attending school.
"Are seventeen year olds eligible to vote?"
Seventeen-year-olds may register and vote in primary elections as long as they will be eighteen by the date of the next general election.
"What should I do if I change my name?"
You will have to fill out and sign a new voter registration card. You may do this by mail or in person at either the county clerk’s office or the driver’s license office. If you are granted a legal name change by the courts, you may have to provide a copy of the name change document.
"I previously had a felony conviction. Can I still register to vote?"

Convicted felons must have their voting rights restored before they can register to vote. You may contact your local parole office or go to https://civilrightsrestoration.ky.gov/ to obtain an application for Restoration of Civil Rights.

"When I register to vote in Perry County does that automatically delete me from the voter rolls elsewhere?
If you were registered in another county in Kentucky, you will automatically be deleted from your previous county. If you were registered in another state, you will need to contact that state to be deleted from their rolls.


"Do I need to take anything with me when I go to the polls?"
You will need to show identification before voting. Kentucky law requires one of the following forms of identification:

  1. driver’s license or state-issued identification card
  2. social security card
  3. credit card
  4. personal acquaintance with one of the election officers in your precinct
  5. another form of identification that has both your picture and your signature
"What hours are the polls open? Can I go to a precinct near my office instead of the one where I live?
The polls are open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. You MUST be in line by 6:00 PM in order to vote. All voters must vote in the precinct that serves their current residential address.
"What if I need assistance at the polls?"
Voters who qualify for assistance at the polls may be assisted by anyone of their choice except their employer, agent of their employer, union head, or agent of their union. If the voter does not bring anyone with them, two election officers (one of each party) may assist the voter. The following people may receive assistance at the polls:

  1. Voters who cannot operate the machine due to a physical disability
  2. Voters who are blind or visually impaired
  3. Voters who are unable to read English
"What if I can't get to the polls on Election Day?"

Some voters qualify to vote by absentee ballot either in person at the county clerk’s office or by mail. You may review the Absentee Voting section or call the voter registration office for more information, (606) 436-4614, Extension 236.


"How do I change my party affiliation?"
You may change your party affiliation at any time; however, you must change your affiliation between the primary date and December 31st of the current year in order to be eligible to vote in your new party’s next primary election. If you change your affiliation between January 1st and the primary election date, you will only be able to vote in the nonpartisan primary races.
"Being registered as an Independent means I can vote for either Republican OR Democrat in a Primary, right?"
This is a common misconception about the Independent party affiliation. If someone is registered as an Independent, that person is only eligible to vote for nonpartisan races that may appear on a ballot in a Primary Election.
"If I am not registered as a Democrat or a Republican may I vote for any democrat or republican candidates of my choice in the May Primary?"
No. If you are registered with a political group or organization, or as an Independent, you cannot vote in any of the partisan races, but you may vote in all nonpartisan primary races. The nonpartisan offices include urban county mayor, urban county council, school board, soil and water conservation, and all judicial offices. In the GENERAL election in November, you may vote for any candidates of your choice regardless of party affiliation.


"What should I do if I move?"
Moves within the county: Update your address with the county clerk in person or in writing, or change your address at the driver’s license office. If you have not done this before Election Day you may still cast your ballot. You must go to the voting precinct that serves your new address on Election Day to vote and update your registration address at that time.
Moves outside of the county:Registration books close 28 days before each election. If you move to another Kentucky county you must register in your new county before the books close in order to be eligible to vote. If you move during the 28 day period that the books are closed, you may return to your previous county to vote in that one election only. You will need to change your registration to your new county as soon as the registration books reopen.
"Is voter registration proof of residency?
No. Your voter registration information only proves the date you registered to vote in the county.

Contact Info


481 Main Street, Suite 102
Hazard, KY 41701

(606) 436-4614

(606) 439-0557

Office Hours


8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Payments Accepted:

Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, cashier check, and personal checks. We accept Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.

Please be advised that the use of a debit is $2.50 and credit card will incur a vendors' fee of 2.75% of the total amount of the transaction.


Skip to content